Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Trust and childlikeness

So, to finish off writing about trust for a while, I wanted to just mention a bit about 'childlikeness'.

God has been speaking to me about learning to trust like a child. Now first off, I think it's pretty clear that in many families today, children don't grow up in a safe, stable environment, and thus their ability to trust is damaged. However, when I'm referring to childlike trust, I'm referring to a child in a family who is secure in the knowledge that he is loved and safe.

So what does this kind of trust look like? Well, a child trusts his parents to provide. He doesn't need to know how his parents will provide, but he simply believes they will. A child realises that he doesn't know everything, and doesn't pretend that he has it all figured out. A child believes that his parents will protect him and look after him. And of course, there are so many other ways in which trust plays out in a child's life.

I think the key here is simplicity. The child's actions reveal a deep trust that his parents are good. In the same way, as we grow deeper in the belief that our Father is good, our lives will display that trust.

Jesus spoke pretty clearly about us needing to become like children to embrace the kingdom of God. Now, I don't think this is so much about throwing out wisdom or even intellect, but rather that we put them in the right place. As Psalm 37:5 says, we aren't meant to lean on our own understanding. In fact, when I try to, I usually find that there are things I don't understand.

Childlikeness isn't always considered a good thing in our culture. But it's a big part of Christianity, especially in terms of mystery. I can accept that I don't fully grasp how the Trinity works, or what God is really like. But "is my god really God if he fits inside my head?" God is a lovely mystery, and I want to search Him out.

Youth culture especially seems to mock the joyful innocence and simple amazement of children. But recently I've been seeing that I really must become like a little child in many ways. There is such joy in being set free from fear and doubt and trusting like a child, and I really want to taste more of that joy.

I've also been discovering the power of being amazed, especially by creation. There are so many amazing things around us, but so often I just accept them as normal. Something that's been messing with my head is the tree. Now, here in Finland there are lots of trees. But the idea came to me that God, during creation, came up with the idea of a tree - there had never been one, and He thought it up. A tree is made up of various parts, each with different textures and colours. And then contained within a tree is the power to make a whole forest - trees are amazing!

I guess it's all to do with perspective. Birds too have been amazing me recently. They can sing (birds are probably my favourite worship leaders at the moment), they can fly, and then so much more. But of course you can accept them as normal, and see them with that cynicism that comes all too easily.

A few weeks ago I read this blog post about childlikeness, and that God is restoring it to the Church in these days - you can read the whole thing here: http://burn24-7.com/2011/childlikeness-is-upon-us/

One verse that he talks about is Psalm 89:15-16 (in NASB):
“How blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! O Lord, they walk in the light of your countenance, In your name they rejoice all the day, And by your righteousness they are exalted.”

I thought that was pretty great.

Bless you, and hope you were inspired by these posts on trust.

No comments: