Thursday, October 7, 2010

I have a guitar! Yay!

So, I haven't owned a guitar for a while now. I left my old guitar in Oklahoma, thinking I'd get back there again. That never happened, and now one of my friends there who didn't have a guitar has my old guitar. So pretty much wherever I've gone to lead worship since then I've borrowed other people's guitars. That was good, but since being in Finland I've been realising that having my own guitar would make things easier.

Then last week, someone very generously gave me 260 euros towards buying a guitar. I was pretty blown away by it. So, since then I've been looking for a guitar. I didn't have loads of money to add to that, so I was looking for something fairly cheap but good. I searched websites that sell guitars (although buying a guitar without ever trying it seems like a bad idea to me).

Yesterday I went to central Helsinki to try out guitars in the music shops. At one of the shops I asked if they knew any shops that sold second hand guitars. They only knew one, and printed out a map for me to get there. I saw a guitar there that I like the look of. It didn't have a price label on it, but I figured it would probably be way out of my price range. I played it and really liked it, it had a really nice sound and it just felt right. Then I tried a few other guitars, but that first guitar was still in the back of my mind. It was love at first sight.

So eventually asked the shop owner how expensive the guitar was, and I expected something 600 euros or more, but it was only 290 euros. It's 10 years old (10 years to the month younger than me) and it's a 'Peders' guitar, made by Landola, a Finnish guitar manufacturer. All their guitars are handmade. They guy said they don't make them any more, but it would cost around 500 euros new.

I got the guy to reserve the guitar for me, so I had time to think about it and find out more about what to check with older guitars to make sure they're in good condition. So I went back to the shop today, with 290 euros cash and a list of things to check on the guitar. The guitar passed all the tests, and after trying it out again, I knew this was my guitar. They also gave me a good padded gig bag, guitar strap and new set of strings.

I walked out of the shop with the guitar on my back and a smile on my face. I'm so thankful to God for providing the money and the guitar. He is so good.

2 comments:

Pellava Smith said...

I'm so happy for the new guitar, awesome landolas are classics, feels somehow significant that you have a finnish guitar with finnish sound now! Many happy tunes and welcome home new guitar!

John said...

Yeah, it does make me happy to have a finnish guitar. Maybe that'll help me release the sound of finland.