Tuesday, October 12, 2010

From fibreglass bears to prayer for the nations

Yesterday I was meant to meet a friend in central Helsinki. Due to some miscommunication I got there an hour earlier than my friend. So, with an hour to waste, I first went to my usual plan when downtown - clothes shopping. After wandering into a shopping centre and through a couple of shops, I then left to wander down another main street full of shops. Strangely, I didn't feel compelled to go into any of the shops - maybe because I don't have loads of money to spend on clothes. As i continued walking down the street I had the thought that maybe God had a plan for this hour i was wasting.

I felt that I should keep walking along this same street. As I continued I remembered that ahead was a major square where the Helsinki Cathedral, original University of Helsinki building, and offices of the Prime Minister and cabinet of Finland are. So I got the impression that maybe I was meant to pray for Finland here.

When I got to the square I couldn't help but notice that the square was full of 2-metre tall fibreglass bears. I was intrigued, so i went to have a look. It turns out this was an international art exhibition with the motto:"We have to get to know each other better, it makes us understand one another better, trust each other more, and live together more peacefully". It's called the United Buddy Bears (great name), with painted bears representing over 140 nations of the world.

So, generally I'm pretty sceptical about these type of things; I mean, statues of bears from different nations holding hands are really gonna bring peace and harmony to the world?!! In fact, the idea that mankind coming together in peace and tolerance and unity can fix the world seems to me both unrealistic and very humanistic.

So anyway, while i was thinking these sort of things, it dawned on me that maybe i ended up here to do more than just rehearse my thoughts on world peace, etc. So, I decided to pause for a short while in front of each bear and pray for the nation represented. Sometimes the prayers were short, "Let your kingdom come in this nation" prayers, and other times there was more that i felt led to pray. As I slowly made my way around the circle, I was amazed at the thought that God has an great plan of what He wants to do in each different nation.

Psalm 86:9 "All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is really great, John! Glad to know what's happening in your life! Blessings and love to you!
Amy