Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Following

Recently one particular idea has been coming up repeatedly, in conversations and in books I'm reading (particularly Bonhoeffer's 'Cost of Discipleship'). In short, it is that discipleship is adherence to Jesus - not to values, principles, ideologies, locations, or people. In following Jesus, I've found that, in many areas, just applying principles or following what others do isn't enough and may lead me down the wrong path. Only in listening to and obeying Jesus can I walk the path He has for me. 

At it's core, the call to follow Jesus is a call to relationship with Jesus. Yet so often I can actually use principles to separate me from a 'dangerous proximity' to Jesus. I can become so invested in plans and strategies that I cut myself off from hearing His voice and simply following Him. For example, by simply adhering to principles relating to money, I can end up missing out on relating to God around the subject of my finances. Because, in the end, God is looking at my heart, at the insecurities and fears that I may be reluctant to let go of. 

Of course, a life lived by following rules, principles and other 'wiser' people sounds much easier and safer. But I know that I'm called to follow Jesus and obey Him above all else.

No comments: