Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The whole earth is full of His glory

Now, to be honest, I've often struggled to see how the environment is an important issue. With all the other justice issues involving people in suffering, I've been pretty cynical about people who devote years to saving endangered species. There are so many injustices in our world, so surely we have to choose where to focus our efforts?

Last week at our Justice prayer week, i was at a talk some people were doing on the environment and why we should care and pray about it. The talk got me thinking, and I've since read a book on the subject which has challenged me greatly. The book is called 'Planet Wise - Dare to care for God's world' and it's written by Dave Bookless (pretty ironic name for an author), and I'd highly recommend it if you want a Biblical study of environmentalism.

As I began to look at this subject, I realised that a large part of my thinking was based on the idea that the spiritual world is the important one, and therefore the physical world is fairly irrelevant. However, as I read chapters 1 and 2 of Genesis, I began to see that I've often only really focused on the point when humans enter the scene. Then as I saw in Genesis 3 the curse placed on humanity and the earth after the entry of sin, it became clear that there is a certain level of interdependence between us and the earth.

God was interested in saving animals from the Flood, not just humans. The Law given to Israel is full of instructions that concern the land and the animals. The Psalms are full of references to creation and how, even in a fallen world, creation declares the glory of God. God's response to Job in Job 38 - 41 is completely full of references to creation. Many of Jesus' parables refer to the creation that He was an integral part of designing, and creation obeyed Him. At the time of Jesus' death there was an earthquake and the rocks were split.

And then to salvation - could it be that Jesus wants to bring redemption to the earth He created?
Romans 8:19-21 - "For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God."

Obviously, there's loads more to this subject, and many other people could say a whole lot more than me.
I know that I'm only beginning a process of discovery, but God has already begun speaking to me through things I've seen in creation. There's so much God wants to teach us through what He's made.



If I am alive this time next year,
will I have arrived in time to share?
And mine is about as good this far.
And I'm still applied to what you are.
And I am joining all my thoughts to you.
And I'm preparing every part for you.

And I heard from the trees a great parade.
And I heard from the hills a band was made.
And will I be invited to the sound?
And will I be a part of what you've made?
And I am throwing all my thoughts away.
And I'm destroying every bet I've made.
And I am joining all my thoughts to you.
And I'm preparing every part for you

No comments: